Saturday, October 2, 2010

What Is It About History?

     Maybe you aren't like this, but there is something about history that stirs me. Perhaps it's because whenever my family traveled we'd stop at every historic marker along the way and find out what important person or event was associated with that location. In former days I was an actress, and my greatest love was for the period pieces with language and costumes that drew me into another time. I loved researching and learning about what it was like to live in that time and immersing myself in the manners of the time as well. I was a costume designer's dream. I loved fittings!  I was in one play where each female member of the cast wore a custom-fitted corset. I may have been the only one who didn't complain. I loved it. What better way to identify with the Renaissance period?!
     What is it about history that stirs me? I was recently moved almost to tears at a board of education meeting. I know it sounds really weird, but let me explain. I work in an historic school. I guess it's something that most of us in the school just forget about or aren't aware of, but some members of our community (all former Social Studies teachers!Go figure!) have undertaken the task of commemorating the history of our school and its connection with Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. As they were giving their presentation at the board meeting I was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude and pride. Gratitude to those who have committed themselves to a project to make sure that our history isn't forgotten, and pride to be connected with them and our school. How many people get to work in a place that is now on the national and state historic registers? I was surprised at the depth of emotion I felt and it has made me wonder just what the privilege of being connected with history in this small way touches in me.
     I suppose the thing about history is that it reminds us that we aren't alone, that many, many people have lived on this earth before and that, in some way, we are all connected. Those who came before, whether from ancient or contemporary history, have forged a path for us. Their experiences and contributions are part of who we have become. When we study the past and learn to connect with historical figures we learn something about who we have been and who we can be.  The contributions they have made inspire us to give of ourselves and reach beyond our comfort zone to make a difference, or show us how not to behave and remind us of the damage that poor choices and selfishness can inflict. 
      When I learn about people from the past I feel a sense of connection with them in their humanness. Their weaknesses and strengths challenge me to evaluate myself. As I compare myself to them, I see my own strengths and weaknesses more clearly. It's often encouraging to recognize that these frail and flawed humans can make a great contribution to the world around them. Case in point: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. Though there is often a hushed awe when their names are spoken, it doesn't take much research to discover that they were deeply flawed people. Yet in their "for such a time as this" moment they each contributed a great deal to our nation and our world. 
     Can God use deeply flawed people to accomplish His purposes, even when they aren't aware of it? I believe the answer is "yes". So, I will continue to let history, world history as well as Biblical history, inspire, challenge and encourage me to let my life, though flawed, make a difference.

The former Franklin D. Roosevelt High School


6 comments:

  1. Very encouraging. Thank you!
    Signed, Deeply Flawed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!...and you already have made a difference in my life by being in it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in awe of the history of Madrid every day! I was able to take Spanish classes in the same town and university as Cervantes! Yes, it choked me up a bit too! Also, I agree with you, I am so glad God can use flawed folks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mommy~! =D

    I understand what you mean, history always gets me really excited, especially if it's something I enjoy learning about. I've really come to appreciate living on the East coast because it has so much more history that the West does, especially when my home state is one of the 13 original colonies. It makes me really proud...!

    Also, this is why I think we should still plan on going to Europe sometime together, y/y? =3 I think it would be lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The history of the world makes me appreciate how far God has taken us, and it makes me look forward to the future...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful thoughts Cathleen!

    If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday. ~Pearl Buck

    ReplyDelete