Sunday, October 17, 2010

Threads of Insecurity

Something just isn't quite right. I need to fix something...just a little. I missed something somewhere, but I am just not sure what. You ever feel that way?

I have been feeling that way about a recent conflict, not fight, not disagreement. Something needed to be addressed and I did it as respectfully as I possibly could, but did I handle myself as well as I should have? Could I have handled the situation better? Is there anything I should do to follow up?

Perhaps all those questions swirling around in my head are because there is something that needs to be done. Or maybe not. Maybe all those questions are just a clue that there are some threads of insecurity lurking around inside of me that need some clipping. We all have them. Sometimes they are neatly tucked inside and we forget about them. Sometimes those threads are visible to others, but not to ourselves. Then we need someone else to bring it to our attention so that we can deal with it. You know, like the person who notices that you have a thread hanging from the hem of your pants and brings it to your attention. Then you realize that you've been stepping on the thread for the last 15 minutes and the hem is about to come down. You might feel a bit embarrassed that you didn't notice it yourself, but you do your best to remedy the situation in a temporary way immediately. Then you take the time to make more permanent repairs later.

Insecurities take time to remedy. Longer than it takes to fix a hem. They take honest self-evaluation and disciplined effort to overcome. And often, when we are sure that we have overcome insecurity in one area, confident that "thread" is neatly clipped, another one surfaces and we have to go through the whole process all over again. Don't you hate that?


Guess it's time to get out my scissors...again.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Cathleen, I've found that believing in who the Father says I am helps be deal with those insecurities.

    "He will be the sure foundation for your times,
    a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge;the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure." —Isaiah 33:6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathleen,

    The Stevenson Family comes to our church every year to do a concert. One of the songs is about how it's hard to fathom how God sees us and not how we see ourselves. Even with all our faults and insecurities, God sees us through Christ. I praise him for that!

    Ilene

    ReplyDelete