Friday, February 24, 2012

Disconnect?

This past weekend I had the opportunity to travel to Washington, DC with eighth graders from our school. Although I have been to our nation's capital before, this was my first chaperone experience. The more experienced chaperones felt that the group on our bus, more than any other group they had taken to DC, just didn't get it.
What this group didn't seem to get was not just the historical significance of where we were, but also the concept of respect for those who've gone before and made sacrifices that we now benefit from. Whether it was our tour guide whose experience enabled us to travel easily through the city and learn a great deal about it and it's history, or those being memorialized by the various monuments, most of this group was unimpressed.
The teachers in charge were frustrated and did their best to try to make that connection for the students, but I know they felt like they had failed. I don't believe that they did.
As parents, or as adults responsible for training children, we feel successful when we are sure the children in our care have "got it". The truth is that many times they don't get it the first time or even the twentieth time. Does that mean that we give up? Of course not! We keep training and giving them the information they need until they begin to connect for themselves. The difficulty for these teachers was that they only had these students for a brief period if time. They didn't get a chance to see the connection, but they did fulfill their responsibility. They taught. They imparted information and they reiterated the need for respect. At some point in the future these kids will get it. They will understand. They will appreciate. The teachers who guided them through this trip won't get to see it, but their influence will be felt all the same.
I understand the frustration these teachers felt. I have often felt that way as a parent. It's difficult not to feel like I've failed when my kids don't seem to get what I've put effort into teaching. I've had to remind myself that training kids is a marathon. The results are still in the distance. Unlike these dedicated teachers, I will have the opportunity to see my kids "get it". That will be a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment