Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Black Screen, My Friend?

So, I am no computer geek, but even I know that a black screen on a laptop is not a good thing. What I am wondering is: Is this the black screen of death or will my laptop be resuscitated and live another day? I have found ways around the black screen. At the moment I am typing on my laptop, but viewing a desktop monitor via a video cable. It works for now, but it isn't ideal. I am in communication with a computer geek I know and am hoping that I will get some good news. We all need a computer geek in our lives in these days when technology changes as fast as a click.

My situation causes me to review something I have reflected on often. Life in the 21st century has gotten very complicated. We move at the speed of light from one activity to another. We instantly communicate and microwave our meals. We keep our calendars on our hand-held devices and can rarely find an empty space to get together with friends. All this technology was supposed to simplify life, right? Instead, we rush around hoping that we don't lose our cell phones, that our computers don't crash and that we can get that one-more-e-mail written or read before we fall asleep at the keyboard.  We are constantly in motion from activity to activity, but where are we really going anyway? Nowhere. And we are going there faster than ever before.

I am grateful for my cellphone and my computer. I enjoy having portable music and a calendar on my phone. I am glad to be able to keep in touch with people through text messages, e-mail and Facebook. But I wonder what would happen to our society if all the satellites and cell towers crashed tomorrow. What if we had no more Internet for Facebook and e-mail. No cell phone. No instant information. Maybe we would go back to just sitting with each other and enjoying a cup of tea or coffee or lemonade and talking. We might ask questions and really listen to answers. Now, there is a lost art. The art of conversation, reading faces or body language. The art of being there when someone is in need of a hug. The ministry of presence.

Technology can certainly aid relationships, but it can never replace face-to-face, voice-to-ear, hand-to-touch relationships.  There is a subtlety in voice inflections, gestures and eye contact that can't be replicated technologically. There is a comfort in the touch of a hand, a hug or a smile that symbols on a screen just can't imitate.

We were created for relationship, to love and be loved, to know and be known. When technology helps us to accomplish that God-ordained purpose then I am all for it. If I need to let my laptop go, then so be it. But I will replace it in some way so that I can stay in touch with you, because you can't be replaced.

Check your calendar. Coffee, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya... I mean read ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moderation in all things....but right here is a nice example of technology used in a good way. Even when you and I worked in the same room, we didn't always have the leisure the share thoughts as we are doing here. I agree with many of your comments, particularly that technology has often just made some people busier going nowhere faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister!!! On my blog, one of my postings was entitled "People or Techno?" Techno. has taken over way too much. I am proud to say I do not have cable or an i phone or a GPS, but I do enjoy my computer and cell phone. Would love to have tea with you sometime. Just give a call.

    ReplyDelete