Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What have I gotten myself into?!!

If you read my first post, then you know that this whole blogging idea was an uncharacteristic, spur-of-the-moment decision. I started by just clicking "create a blog" to see what would happen next and ended up posting! As soon as I finished, my husband was there and I showed him my brand new blog. He immediately linked it to his Facebook. That may not sound like a big deal, but because of his public position and charming, outgoing personality he has more than 600 friends! I suddenly had a moment of panic. "Will people actually read what I've written? And if they do, what do I do now?" Well, I checked back a few hours later and found that I actually had a few followers and comments! Then I began to ask all the questions I normally would have asked ahead of time. "How often should I blog? How am I going to work this into my already full schedule? Am I going to be able to keep this up? What should be my focus?" If you don't mind, could you join me in a little tweaking?
As I thought about how often to post, I was very aware that school will start in about two weeks. Since I am a 10-month employee in a public school, that means I go back to work. Full-time I might add! I became overwhelmed by the thought of trying to write every day, although I would love to. I have been reading the autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt. Did you know that Mrs. Roosevelt published a newspaper column called "My Day" six days a week from 1935 until her death in 1962? Think about it! In the days before laptops and the Internet, she basically wrote a blog every day and sent it to the newspaper no matter where she was in the world! I am not sure how that was accomplished technically, but I do know that she often survived on much less than eight hours of sleep a night. If I did that I would probably become a walking bowl of Jello! No. At this stage of my life, daily blogging is not for me. So, if you don't mind, to keep myself from going crazy and becoming a walking bowl of Jello, I am setting a goal of posting at least once a week. Maybe more if time and inspiration permit.
Also, I did a Google blog search (I didn't even know there was such a thing until after my first post!) just to see if mine would come up. (Okay, I am a true newbie!) It didn't, but four other blogs titled "A Work in Progress" did. That caused me to consider what I would want to be different about mine. I want to share with you about real life, my real life. I don't want to pontificate about great ideas or truths, although I hope my blog will be full of truth. I want to share my journey with you. So, beginning next time I will be changing the name of my blog to "Real life: A Work in Progress". We are all in a constant state of becoming. Eleanor Roosevelt, for example, did not start out as the humanitarian spokeswoman that history recalls. She started out as a young girl growing up at the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries and rode the challenges and experiences of her life to become the historic woman known as "The First Lady of the World", because real life is a work in progress. (I will probably write more about Eleanor at another time.)
So, thanks for joining me in this process. I know that this blog is something I am supposed to do. I feel very strongly that it is meant to be a mission and a ministry. I remain confident that He who began a good work in, and I hope through me, will be faithful to complete it.

1 comment:

  1. Once a week, huh? We'll see how long that lasts! I'm finding the more I write, the more the Lord is opening up my brain and filling it with thoughts. Some for now and some for later (I have a couple of unfinished drafts waiting to be posted). I don't doubt the same thing will happen to you. And I, for one, will be very happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete