Saturday, November 20, 2010

Unexpected Love

I remember the exact moment, the exact image, that took my breath and heart away. We were at Disney World of all places, and my heart was immediately captured. I'm not talking about a person, but bear with me as I try to communicate this experience of unexpected love.
It was several years ago when Tom and I were celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary. On our honeymoon my new husband had taken me "around the world" at Epcot, taking a photograph of me in each "country". We had returned to Disney to recreate that fun memory. In an unexpected place I experienced a life-transforming moment. I fell in love with China. Yes, the country of China.
It was just another stop on our trip around the world so we visited the "China in 360" attraction. We had probably visited it on our honeymoon, but I have no recollection of that visit. This visit, however is etched in my memory. In a round movie theater with no seats, only bars to lean on, we were viewing a film that gave you the sense of standing on the Great Wall, seeing everything in front, behind and around you or traveling on boat on a river, or walking on the streets of Shanghai. I was enchanted, but then we were flying above beautiful mountains, rivers and hillsides unlike any I had ever seen. That was the moment my heart overflowed. I was unexpectedly arrested by the beauty of a country that until that moment was just a large shape on a map. After that moment, I felt myself among the people, immersed in the music, the grace, the beauty of an unfamiliar culture. I didn't want the film to end. When it did come to an end, my emotions didn't. My feelings were so strong I couldn't speak. I left the theater knowing that some day I HAD to go to China.
 
Amazingly enough, later that same year my husband was invited to go on a trip to China . We were both excited at the prospect and my first question was "Can I go?" The answer was yes, but I would have to pay (his expenses were covered by the nature of the trip.) It was hard to give up, but I knew without a doubt that, for a variety of reasons, this was not the time for me to go. But deep within I knew that I knew that somehow another opportunity would come at the right time. So, I learned as much as I could about the places he was visiting and drank in the pictures he took with no jealousy. It helped that he went in January and it was freezing cold! I didn't envy that part of his trip!

Just recently it happened! Another opportunity to go to China! Excitement about the possibility quickly became an inexplicable, painful longing.  I went to my husband and as close as I could without begging asked if we could go. No, that's not really it. I told him, with eyes overflowing, "I have to go to China."

So, next spring we are going to China. My heart still swells at the prospect, for reasons I can't explain. But I AM going and somehow I know that once will just not be near enough. This unexpected love will not be satisfied with one visit. This will be the first for me, second for Tom, with who knows how many to come. Only God knows what part China plays in my future. I know this kind of love doesn't happen without a reason. I just can't tell you what that reason is yet. I can only tell you that it has unexpectedly come... to stay.

5 comments:

  1. Great story... so excited for you that you will get to go in the Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you get to go...praying God uses it for His glory and your blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting! Maybe you will want to even adopt and bring a part of China back home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I know that unexplainable love you are conveying so clearly. It can only come from Him. He will go before you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. Will probably have a lot to write after the trip.
    Leigh, we have actually prayed about adopting a little girl from China, but didn't get the go-ahead. However, my teenage daughter assures us that she will be adopting TWO little Chinese granddaughters for us some day. :)

    ReplyDelete